Exhaust manifold crack (4n13, 4n14)

• Hi to all, and sorry for my english.

I own an ASX 1.8 DID 2011, and noticed that there was a crack on the exhaust manifold on the egr tube soldering.

This causes the fumes to insert cabin via cabin filter, causes frequent regenerations of dpf for no reason, causes diesel to mix with oil , causes low performance, high fuel consumption , turbine fail because of bad lubrication due to diesel in oil etc .

After noticed manifold crack, I informed my country's ministry of transport, the main importer of mitsubishi , and some asx forums.

I myshelf repaired the crack although the importer offered free manifold replacement, because the new part is not yet issue free , so with the new part problem could come out again in some thousands of kms.

Everybody should check their exhaust manifold for leaks and inform mitsubishi motors such as his country's ministry so they recall cars to install new ISSUE FREE manifold asap

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GiannisASX ()

• Seams to be the reason. On my car I found using your photos exactly the same...
    And it is strange that it break at the very same point.

• Here pictures from my car.... and it is the very same area where it break.
    In my case I have the problem fumes to insert cabin via cabin filter since Oktober 2018 - but only while the DPF Cleanup run. It means that the leak is so small that that fumes out only while it is hot enough (600 Celcius) while DPF Cleanup. In normal mode it seams to be cosed because of low temperatur on the metal.

Since nearly 3 years it was not posible to found the reason for that oil level rising. I was also in contact with misubishi in Japan.
    Using diagnose app on my phone I was all this time able to read the temperatur on al temperartur sensors while DPF cleanup and so I did know that one sensor never reached the needed 600 degrees and stuck always around 450 degress.
    All the time misubishi was not able to tell my why the temperatur is not reched. I replaced the sensor and the brand new one showed the same data. In spring I contacted mitsubishi in Japan and they was also not able to tell my why.
    Now I know why...

I tried to get now a replacement part exhaust manifold from Mitsubishi as good will. They denied because they don't heard about this kind of error.

If you say:
    "the importer offered free manifold replacement". Can I ask in what country you requested it?

• Greek importer offered free replacement to those cars that owners had send email to ministry of transport with photos of the problem , etc.

We are 12 people that send complaints to ministry of transport, but many others that noticed the problem later ,and many many others that never found the issue with the manifold.

The important is to share everywhere so all owners notice it, and send email to your country's ministry of transport or to whoever is responsible for vehicles safety etc.

So that mitsubishi recall all cars for replacement worldwide.

I think there will be NO car not having this issue

• (All faulty exhaust manifolfda that were been replaced, were about to be sent to japan for further investigation)

• "They denied because they don't heard about this kind of error."

Of course they didnt hear about this kind of error because its their job to find out why cars smell fumes inside cabin and also why cars do dpf regen every 100 km and not every 500-600...

Now they know.

Try to make it known to every asx /lancer forum (4n13 , 4n14 engines suffer from this issue), send emails to importer and to ministry of transport.

(I suggest not to replace but to solder it because the new part will also suffer from the issue again in a few kmS.

Replace only when new part is better built not to crack on the tube soldering

• Please do not solder the crack, but weld it! Soldering does not have sufficient temperature stability.

• I had the exact the same problem on my ASX 1.8 DID (2013).

I imported my car in 2019 from Germany, and serviced my car only in authorized dealership service from Mitsubishi in Croatia, and the car was also serviced in Germany by the authorized dealer service.

About two months ago I had a problem with the clogged DPF filter. As my car has 140.000 km on the clock, I thought that the DPF is the problem, cleaned it in the specialized service for DPFs for 200 EUR... and the problem came back within a week, car in the SAFE MODE, DPF clogged.

I went to Mitsubishi service in Zagreb, and they managed to make the forced regeneration over the diagnostic, deleted the error code, changed the oil - and claimed that the problem is solved (with ca 200 EUR bill). DPF was clogged within 5 days. :cursing:

Now, understanding that the authorized service has no clue about the cause, I tried researching on the internet. I came across this forum and thanks to ASX-Freak and GiannisASX - I found the cause =Cracked exhaust manifold. Went back to Mitsubishi service and demanded that they check the manifold. Sure enough, it was cracked, and one of the exhaust temperature sensors was dead too. All in all 1.000 EUR for the replacement of manifold and the mentioned sensor. Well, to hell with it, I thought, I like this ASX, now the matter is solved. All is good.

Only yesterday evening, the turbo started whining like hell. Went to the service again - the turbo charger is damaged! Cause: the rubber gasket mounted between the intake plastic hose/housing and the turbocharger itself broke away, got sucked into the turbocharger and ... I don`t know right now how much damage it caused <X<X<X.

The Service claims that when they were changing the exhaust manifold, there was no visible damage to the plastic hose/housing nor the damn washer. Right now I don`t have much trust in them, so do you think that it is possible that they f..... up when assembling everything and that they have killed my turbo? Can I do anything about it?

Ich hatte genau das gleiche Problem auf meinem ASX 1.8 DID (2013).

Ich habe mein Auto 2019 aus Deutschland importiert, nur beim Vertragshändlerservice von Mitsubishi in Kroatien gewartet und das Auto wurde auch vom Vertragshändlerservice in Deutschland gewartet.

Vor ungefähr zwei Monaten hatte ich das Problem mit dem verstopften DPF-Filter. Da mein Wagen etwa 140.000 km auf der Uhr hat, dachte ich, der DPF sei das Problem. Ich habe es im Fachservice für DPFs für 200 EUR gereinigt ... und das Problem kam innerhalb einer Woche wieder, Auto im SAFE MODE, DPF verstopft.

Ich ging zum Mitsubishi-Service in Zagreb, sagte das es erneut vorkommt und das sie die Ursache finden sollen. Resultat - sie haben es geschafft die Zwangsregeneration durch das Diagnosegerät durchzuführen, den Fehlercode zu löschen, Öl gewechselt - und behaupteten das Problem sei gelöst (mit ca. 200 EUR Rechnung). DPF war innerhalb von 5 Tagen wieder verstopft. :cursing:

Nachdem ich nun eingesehen habe das der autorisierte Vertragshändlerservice keine Ahnung hat was die Ursache war, versuchte ich im Internet zu recherchieren. Ich bin auf dieses Forum gestoßen und habe dank ASX-Freak und GiannisASX die Ursache gefunden = Auspuffkrümmer gerissen. Ging zurück zum Mitsubishi Service und verlangte eine Überprüfung des Krümmers. Tatsächlich war es gerissen (beim EGR Auslass) und einer der Abgastemperatursensoren war auch noch defekt. Insgesamt 1.000 EUR für den Austausch der Auspuffkrümmer und Sensor.

Nun, zum Teufel damit, dachte ich, mag dieses ASX, jetzt ist es gelöst. Alles ist gut.

Denksta... gestern Abend fing der Turbolader zu pfeifen, die Leistung gleich verringert ... Lieber Himmel! War heute Morgen gleich wieder im Mitsubishi Service - der Turbolader ist beschädigt! Ursache: Die Gummischeibe/Gummidichtung zwischen Ansaugschlauch/Ansauggehäuse und dem Turbolader ist abgebrochen, wurde in den Turbolader eingesaugt und ... Gott weiss wie viel Schaden angerichtet <X<X<X

Der Service behauptet, dass beim Austausch des Auspuffkrümmers weder dieser Ansauggehäuse noch die verdammte Gummischeibe nicht beschädigt waren.

Ich habe im Moment nicht viel Vertrauen in die Mitsubishi Service hier. Meinen sie das die Möglichkeit besteht, dass die Service beim Zusammenbau von diesem Ansauggehäuse irgendetwas falsch gemacht haben und damit meinen Turbolader getötet? Was kann man dagegen tun?#

Vielen Dank...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hosho ()

• Its absolutely fault of the garage...

1) they fit this part not properly

2)they fit it properly but they didnt notice that a replacement of the part was needed...

I think no1 is the most possible..

• Greece ..

• Hi GiannisASX

I have the same problem. Can you tell me how long it took to remove the exhaust manifold?

Do you have any tips for removing it?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• Hello! Greetings from Spain! I have the same problem, welding the collectors or replacing new ones has solved the problem of oil rises and so short regenerations? Thanks and greetings!

• In my case it did made it better but not full solved the problem. This is a very complex problem where no master way exist to solve it.

After I did run the car for 5 years with that problem the DPF himself got damaged becasue of daily DPF regenerations runs.

So I also installed a brand new DPF and and the regeneration cycle did jump from all 40km to 120km.
    Meanwhile I got it to 450km in a test run. So I know meanwhile on what the DPF regenerations depends.

I will later in this year write here more details.

You need to make sure that the exhaust system is really tight, otherwise you won't reach temperatures above 600 degrees that are needed. And the differential pressure must not rise above the trigger value.

• Regenerations every 40 km... How desperate! You must have the entire charcoal system dense, it is not normal for them to be so closely spaced. Have you tried any additives to try to unclog? Out of curiosity, what price does a new DPF cost? All the best!

• I've changed the exhaust manifold to an reinforced/welded one incl. new turbo.

Not easy job, but did it slowly in one day. Here you can follow the steps video, don't understand polish, but it helped me:

Also some schematics and explosion views you can get here:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/…_Manual/2018/index_M1.htm

Before the change i've had regeneration cycles every 70km, now its every 150km, so its better, but the Problem haven't been solved completly. Differential pressure sensor changed, dpf cleaned... So there are still some other Influence factors which aren't known or considered yet...

Best regards

Toni